Are you smack in the middle of “what day is it even” summertime fun? We’re here to keep you on track with the latest hot topics, so sit back and soak in summer while catching up on some trending headlines. Let’s get into what you need to know for this week.
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- Social Media Day – June 30
- Independence Day – July 4
Trends You Should Know
- After announcing the retirement of their infamous supermodel “Angels,” Victoria’s Secret is replacing the women in wings with seven ambassadors who have made strides in gender equality and body positivity. This group goes by the title “VS Collective” and will work to turn away from the brand’s old image and focus on representing a wider range of body types and gender identities. Big names are joining the force, including actress Priyanka Chopra Jonas and soccer player Megan Rapinoe. Do you think this rebrand is right on time or are they showing up (unfashionably) late to the gender-equality party?
- Did you catch the 21st BET Awards on Sunday? After going virtual in 2020, the award show themed, “Year of the Black Woman” was held in-person with the most performances ever featured in the show since debuting in 2001. Megan Thee Stallion, Tyler the Creator, DJ Khaled and many more took the stage at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. One of the show highlights was when Queen Latifah accepted the Lifetime Achievement Award for her contribution to the industry and work as a Black businesswoman.
- The 2021 Summer Olympics is right around the corner, and while we’re planning our watch parties, athletes are making headlines. Tennis star Serena Williams says she will not play at the Tokyo Olympics but didn’t disclose why during her interview. She has taken home four gold medals in past Summer Games for the United States, so this news comes as a shock to tennis fans. The U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Team was announced late Sunday evening, and these six athletes are sure to become household names! It’s no surprise that Simone Biles will lead the team with her record-breaking scores and jaw-dropping performances. We’re ready to cheer them on at the end of the month.
- Let’s end our trending topics with an adorable announcement. The 2021 Gerber Baby was just announced, and Zane Kahin of Florida is gearing up to share his giggles and infectious smile with the world!
We hope you have a great week, and we’ll see you back on the blog next Tuesday after celebrating the 4th of July!