Hello goblins and ghouls! It’s Monday, Oct. 19 and we’re officially halfway through October (that flew by!) and well into “spooky season.” No need to be frightened – we have you covered with some of the top trends, viral topics and more to keep you in the loop this week.
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- Game 1 of the World Series begins – Oct. 20
- It’s the Los Angeles Dodgers versus the Tampa Bay Rays and here’s a fun fact to impress all your friends: The Rays are only one in six MLB franchises who have never won a World Series. Is this their year?
- National Pumpkin Day – Oct. 26
- National Publicist Day – Oct. 30 (hint, hint, nudge, nudge)
- Halloween – Oct. 31
Trends You Should Know
- When you’re Beyoncé, everything you do is a big deal including her line Ivy Park’s new additions, with a shoe line dropping on October 30 and new clothing hitting shops on November 19, just in time for the holidays.
- Praise be – lounge and athleisure wear is here to stay! In a surprising sentence that has never been stated before, fashion designers are teaming up with Mucinex (yep, the sinus medication) for a line of comfortable WFH apparel with antimicrobial fabrics, soothing colors and temperature-regulating clothing. The unisex pieces will debut tomorrow, Tuesday, Oct. 20, at 8 p.m. ET during a livestreamed event.
- By now you’ve likely seen the viral video of Nathan Apodaca skateboarding, drinking Ocean Spray and jamming to Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams.” What started as a casual video of a man on his way to work has now amassed millions of views, recognition from Mick Fleetwood and Stevie Nicks, a TikTok commercial spot during the MLB playoffs, a new truck and much more. Even the 1977 hit made its way back to notoriety, reaching the number 1 spot on iTunes last week. The video showcases something social media and advertising experts have known for years – user-generated content continues to thrive and result in high engagement. Who will be the next company to use it to their advantage?
It’s not every year there’s a major election, so make sure to use your right to vote for the Presidential election on Tuesday, Nov. 3. No matter what party you’re voting for, your voice should be heard! See here for a full breakdown on how to vote or register, if you haven’t yet. Have a great rest of the week and we’ll see you back here on the blog next Monday!