Happy Monday, everyone! We hope you all had a wonderful weekend and are as excited as we are for the upcoming holidays. As we know you’re probably busy wrapping last-minute presents, traveling or cooking for the holidays, we’ll skip the chit-chat and hop right into the trends that you need to know this week.
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- Christmas Eve – Dec. 24
- Christmas Day – Dec. 25
- Kwanzaa – Dec. 26
- New Year’s Eve – Dec. 31
- It’s also National Champagne Day!
Trends You Should Know
- Hockey fans can rejoice – yesterday the National Hockey League announced that the 2021 season will officially start back Wednesday, Jan. 13! The season will include 56 games from January to May, with the playoffs running May to July. This good news comes after a long negotiation process where the NHL and its Canadian partner (NHLPA) went head-to-head over budget and financial issues.
- It was a big weekend for sports! College Football Playoff rankings dropped and leading the pack was none other than usual suspects, Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State in the top four alongside Notre Dame, which hasn’t won a national championship since 1988. Get ready – games kick off today, with the biggest games of the season Friday, Jan. 1.
- In non-sports-related news, a brand-new documentary was announced about legendary band, The Beatles. Directed by Peter Jackson, well known for The Lord of the Rings trilogy, the movie will be released in theaters Friday, Aug. 27. The movie will include never before seen footage of concerts from the 1960s and 1970s.
- Hot chocolate and Pepsi? The soda company is hoping that this combination makes your mouth water! Pepsi took to Twitter to announce its test kitchen’s new concept, “Cocoa Cola.” Do you think this could be your new favorite holiday drink?
- Rounding today’s trend report on a sweet note, Burger King U.K. is using its platform for good this holiday season. Instead of using its Instagram account to showcase new menu items, they’re using it to highlight other struggling local restaurants in the U.K. and France in a campaign called “There’s more to life than the Whopper.” Followers can comment and tag restaurants that they think need some extra “love” and Burger King shares a new one every day.
We hope you all have a great rest of the week and a wonderful holiday. We’ll see you back on the blog next week for our last trend report of 2020!