Hello, everyone, and welcome back to the blog. It’s Monday, Feb. 22 and also National Margarita Day – what a way to kick off the week! Whether you’d prefer to capitalize on a margarita deal at a local restaurant/national chain or make your own delicious concoction at home, we hope you have a fun evening celebrating. Once you’ve finished your cocktail, it’s time to read through the trends you need to know for the rest of the week.
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- National Margarita Day – Feb. 22
- Golden Globe Awards – Feb. 28 at 8 p.m. ET
- World Compliment Day – March 1
- International Women’s Day – March 8
Trends You Should Know
- Earlier today, Spotify announced that they’re planning on expanding their presence to over 80 more countries this week. Including Nigeria, Ghana, Pakistan and Bangladesh, Spotify will be available in over 170 markets across the globe. This also means that the streaming service will be adding music in 36 new languages to their platform!
- In lieu of the COVID-19 pandemic and isolation which has increased suicide rates within the country, Japan has created a new government title intended on tackling this trend. “Minister of Loneliness” Tetushi Sakamoto will oversee government policies, promote measures and identify problems to assist citizens struggling with loneliness. This isn’t the first time a country has created a government title to help their citizens’ mental health. The United Kingdom appointed their own loneliness minister in 2018 and Australia considered creating a position as well.
- Applebee’s has opened their own delivery-only chain for everyone who loves to eat some wings from the comfort of their home! Named Cosmic Wings, the delivery-only store will serve wings, fries and a new Cheetos-covered item menu. You can order from Cosmic Wings only through Uber Eats and the new chain uses an original container with vents specifically designed to retain heat while releasing steam, so your wings won’t get soggy.
- If you follow the beauty world online, you’ve most likely seen the story of Tessica Brown, who used Gorilla Glue in her hair as a replacement for gel. The social media buzz around her video has been immense, resulting in stories on all the major national news networks, a GoFundMe for her and hundreds of doctors across the country reaching out to do the removal surgery for her. In light of all this, Gorilla Glue has remained silent for the most part, outside of a post stating that Gorilla Glue is not meant for hair, body or clothing and says so on the bottle. While you’d think that sales might decline a bit, the brand has actually seen their sales skyrocket – their Amazon search volume has increased by over 4,000% just in the month of February!
In addition to trends, we wanted to end the blog with our thoughts and prayers for everyone still dealing with impacts of last week’s winter storms in Texas, from power outages and flooded homes, to lack of water access. Our hearts break for you all and we hope for swift resolutions all around. We hope you have a great rest of your week and we’ll see you back on the blog next Monday!